Greetings! In the interest of keeping the community informed, please see below for a brief review of the upcoming Newport-Mesa Unified School District (NMUSD) Board meeting. I have highlighted a few items that may be of interest to the general public.
Board Meeting Agenda Highlights:
10.a. Recognition of Fall Athletic Sports Champion - NHHS Girls Field Hockey. Newport Harbor High School’s Girls Field Hockey team is being recognized for their championship in the Fall Tournament of Champions.
10.b. Recognize 2016-2017 District Teacher of the Year Recipients. Jackie Wiseman from Kaiser Elementary and Jim Blackie from Ensign Intermediate School were selected as District Teachers of the Year and will represent Newport-Mesa Unified School District in the Orange County Department of Education Teacher of the Year program.
12.a. 50th Anniversary Student Board Member Report - 1970's. As part of the 50th anniversary Early College High School student board members will present on what it was like to be in school in the 1970's in Newport-Mesa.
12.b. Report on Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for Corona del Mar Sports Field. The Facilities Development Department will report on the "Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the Corona del Mar High School Sports Field.
17.d. Receive Information from District's Legal Counsel Pertaining to Term Limits for the Board of Education. Parker & Covert, LLP Attorneys at Law, will be providing the Board with options open to them pertaining to term limits for the Board of Education.
Please click here to view the full NMUSD Board of Education meeting agenda.
General Board Meeting Overview
Board meetings are where elected officials conduct the business of the school district. Agendas for regular meetings of the NMUSD typically consist of a closed session and an open session.
Closed session agenda items are confidential and cannot be shared with the public. If the board agenda contains a closed session, the topics will be routinely related to confidential employee or student issues and/or pending litigation. The Board may also discuss various negotiations with its chief negotiator in a closed session.
Open session items are non-confidential agenda items in which the board conducts its business in view of the public. Open session agenda items are divided into the following sections:
- Public comment is provided so that members of the community can speak to the Board. If a speaker addresses an issue that is not on the agenda, the Board is restricted from responding to the speaker. If a speaker addresses an issue that is on the agenda, the Board may respond when the agenda item is scheduled to be addressed in the agenda. The purpose of the open meeting law, commonly referred to as the Brown Act, guarantees that public organizations will only make decisions or address issues that have been publicly posted. Public comments on non-agenda items do not meet this threshold.
- Presentation is when an item is being presented to the Board or from the Board. Examples include presentation of a check or proclamation to the Board, or the Board presenting a Distinguished Service Award to a staff member.
- Report is a verbal communication from staff on a topic of interest to the Board.
- Consent calendar items are routine items of business that occur on a regular basis. The board will approve the consent calendar in one vote, unless the board pulls it for discussion. Often, consent calendar items are related to contract renewals, construction change orders, purchase of previously approved instructional materials, supplies and routine approvals required by state law.
- Discussion/action calendar items are required to be publicly approved separately. Items in this category are new items that have not been previously approved, require a policy change, or are related to compensation changes for all employees.
Dr. Fred Navarro