Complaints Concerning Instructional Materials/Williams Uniform Complaint
The Governing Board uses a comprehensive process to adopt district instructional materials that is based on selection criteria established by law and Board policy and includes opportunities for the involvement of parents/guardians and community members.
Complaints related to sufficiency of textbooks or instructional materials shall be resolved pursuant to the district's Williams uniform complaint procedure at AR 1312.4.
Williams Uniform Complaints
The district shall use the Williams Uniform Complaint procedures to investigate and resolve complaints when the complainant alleges that any of the following has occurred: (Education Code 35186; 5 CCR 4681, 4682, 4683)
1. Textbooks and instructional materials
- A pupil, including an English learner, does not have standards-aligned textbooks or instructional materials or state- or district-adopted textbooks or other required instructional materials to use in class.
- A pupil does not have access to textbooks or instructional materials to use at home or after school.
- Textbooks or instructional materials are in poor or unusable condition, have missing pages, or are unreadable due to damage.
- A pupil was provided photo-copied sheets from only a portion of a text book or instructional material to address a shortage of textbooks or instructional materials.
2. Teacher vacancy or misassignment
- A semester begins and a teacher vacancy exists.
- A teacher who lacks credentials or training to teach English learners is assigned to teach a class with more than 20 percent English learner pupils in the class.
- A teacher is assigned to teach a class for which the teacher lacks subject matter competency.
- A condition poses an emergency or urgent threat to the health or safety of pupils or staff.
- A school restroom has not been maintained or cleaned regularly, is not fully operational, or has not been stocked at all times (example: toilet paper, soap, and/or paper towels or functional hand dryers).
- The school has not kept all restrooms open during school hours when students are not in classes and has not kept a sufficient number of restrooms open during school hours when students are in classes.