Skip To Main Content

Work Permits

If you are a current NMUSD student and need a Work Permit:

Step 1: Complete a Work Permit Application 

  • Print and fill out the California Work Permit Application (CDE Form B1-1) which can be found at the following link: California Work Permit Application (CDE Form B1-1)
  • All fields must be completed and signed.
  • Completed Work Permit Application (CDE Form B1-1)
  • Photo Identification (Student ID, State Issued ID or License, Passport)

Step 2: Email Completed Documentation to Your School

Once your application is completed, make sure to send completed Work Permit Application and a copy of your Photo Identification (refer to the above list for acceptable types) to your current school site. 

Please select your school site below:

          Back Bay High School/ Monte Vista High School
          Cloud Campus
          Corona Del Mar High School
          Costa Mesa High School
          Early College High School
          Ensign Intermediate School
          Estancia High School
          Newport Harbor High School
          TeWinkle Intermediate School

Step 3: Receive your Work Permit Electronically

Once you receive your executed work permit from the District, you will need to complete the following:

  • Sign the Student field of the executed work permit.
  • Deliver fully executed work permit to employer

If you have any questions about the process, please contact Student Services at 714-424-5064 or 714-424-5020.

For students that DO NOT currently attend NMUSD, but reside within the attendance boundaries: 

Please provide the following below:

  • The district's Student Record's office may process the work permit request.
  • Completed the Work Permit Application (CDE Form B1-1)
  • Photo Identification (Student ID, State Issued ID or License, Passport)
  • Verification of School Enrollment if not currently enrolled in NMUSD
  • Academic Progress Report/ Transcript if not currently enrolled in NMUSD
  • Send all documents listed above, including Work Permit application, to Student Services.

Entertainment Work Permits:

Please follow steps below to apply for an Entertainment Work Permit:

  • Contact the California Department of Industrial Relations to review steps on completing the application.
  • Once application is completed, you will need to submit to your school site for review and processing of the school portion.
  • The school site will complete the Attendance, Grades, and Health fields, and return the application to the parent. It is then the parent's responsibility to contact the appropriate agency authorized to issue Entertainment Work Permits.


  • Check with your school site on the turnaround time for processing work permits.
  • Make sure all fields on the work permit are completed, including the employer section.
  • You must have a job offer already in place before requesting a work permit.
  • Make sure the Work Permit is legible.
  • Make sure you provide all required documentation to the school site.