Skip to main content

Age and Birth Verification

Transitional Kindergarten, Kindergarten and 1st Grade:

California Education Code section 48002 states: “The parent or guardian of a child shall, prior to the admission of the child to the kindergarten or first grade of a school district, present proof to the authorities of the district evidencing that the child is of the minimum age fixed by law for admission thereto. The method of proof of age shall be prescribed by the governing board, and the evidence may be in the form of a certified copy of a birth record or a statement by the local registrar or a county recorder certifying the date of birth, or a baptism certificate duly attested, or a passport, or, when none of the foregoing is obtainable, an affidavit of the parent, guardian, or custodian of the minor, or any other appropriate means of proving the age of the child as prescribed by the governing board of the school district.”

For all students 2nd grade through Graduation:

When a parent of a child seeks admission into the Newport-Mesa USD from grades 2nd through graduation, we will attempt to obtain one of the following verification of age documents listed below:

  • Birth Certificate (including a foreign birth certificate)
  • Hospital Birth Certificate
  • Baptism Certificate Duly Attested
  • Government-issued photo identification that includes date of birth
  • Affidavit (only used when none of the documents above can be provided)

A parent who cannot provide one the documents listed above may complete a Verification of Age Affidavit.

If an affidavit is used, during enrollment of the student please double check the affidavit for accuracy with the parent.  Once the affidavit is complete, this document shall serve as a verification of age document (keep a copy of the affidavit as part of the pupil’ mandatory permanent record).  The affidavit may also be used to confirm a child’s legal name and date of birth as part of the mandatory permanent record school districts are required to maintain by Section 432 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations.  A parent/legal guardian requesting to amend information on an affidavit must submit an official document supporting the change, or avail themselves of the District’ policy for challenging the contents of a pupil’s record.

A parent, guardian or custodian (all hereinafter referred to as “parent”) must hold legal custody or educational rights.